We’ve been planning on redoing Hudson’s room for several months & Friday was the day for his new furniture to be delivered! I am crazy about the bed & dresser that we bought & apparently SO IS HUDSON! I am waiting on his new curtains, bed skirt & throw pillows to be finished but I will post pictures as soon as the room is completely done. I honestly cannot believe how well this transition has gone. After hearing horror story after horror story about putting kids in a big bed for the first time, I was definitely dreading the transition. I envisioned myself being awake all night putting him back in his bed 100 times. I was bound & determined that if it meant no sleep for me for the first night, that is what would happen b/c he was going to learn that we were serious about him sleeping in his bed. Fortunately, none of the above happened! He has been a rock star all weekend! All week long we talked about his new big boy bed & tried to make it exciting for him. It was here & made up when he got home on Friday from school. Before we put him in bed, we sat on the couch & talked about how he was going to sleep in his new bed & he was not to get out of the bed. I told him he would get a spanking if he got out. And I told him that when he woke up the next morning to call for us & we would come get him out of bed. I’m sorry if this sounds harsh to some of you, but in my mind, it was kind of the same as training him to sleep when he was a baby. Again, I’m not even sure that this little speech was neccesary! He climbed up in his bed, we tucked him in & turned off the lights. He never made a peep, never made an attempt to get out of bed & didn’t wake up until 7:45 on Saturday morning. He is normally a 6-7am riser, so 7:45 was really nice! Saturday afternoon when it came time for a nap, I wondered how that would go. After a 2 hour nap, I was feeling like we had this transition whooped! Same story last night for bed, this afternoon for a nap & again tonight for bed. I’m so proud of him!! I had a friend tell me that if you switch them when they are ready, it really is easy on them & they will sleep so much better. Fortunately, I think we picked the right time & he has handled it like a champ. Good thing since baby sister will be needing that crib in about 3 months! :-)
When I think back over each big stage in Hudson’s 2 1/2 years, I’ve been the one to fret over everything. I worried when it was time to take the bottle away. Done in one day & he never got upset about it at all. I worried when it was time to take the paci away. This was done in about 2 days & it was a super easy transition. And of course I worried about this new bed thing. You’d think I’d have learned by now that my child is very adaptable & seems to transition to new things fairly easily! Lets hope baby #2 handles things the same way!





No comments:
Post a Comment